As the former Electron Device Business of Varian Associates, Inc., Communications & Power Industries LLC (CPI) has a long heritage of technological and product excellence. In 1948, Russell H. Varian and Sigurd F. Varian, the historical founders of CPIs business, founded Varian Associates and introduced the klystron as its first commercial product. Varian Associates was incorporated in California on April 20, 1948, with the stated purpose to “conduct general research in the fields of physical science of every kind or nature.” At the time, Varian Associates had $22,000 of capital and six full-time employees, receiving technical and business assistance from several members of the faculty at nearby Stanford University. (Read more about the early history of Varian Associates.) In 1953, the company established its headquarters in Palo Alto, Calif., in what has become the Stanford Industrial Park. (Read more about Russell and Sigurd Varian and the invention of the klystron.)
Today, CPI is a global manufacturer of electronic components and subsystems focused primarily on communications and defense markets. The company develops, manufactures and globally distributes innovative and reliable technology solutions used in the generation, amplification, transmission and reception of microwave signals for commercial and military applications. CPI serves customers in the communications, defense, medical, industrial and scientific markets.