SCANTIBODIES Laboratory…A Vision Fulfilled…the Challenge for Today !
Tom had a vision of helping patients by starting a company to do what no other company was doing…making and selling antibodies to measure the immeasurable – hormones. Tom made a vow that if he was profitable, he would use the money from the company to help people and that is what he has done.
This is a story of one mans dreams. At the age of 19 Tom married and had to drop out of college. He moved to San Diego in 1970 where his wife worked as a secretary and Tom got into San Diego City College. Tom worked to get into UCSD to earn his Bachelors degree. In order to support his family after his first son was born, Tom worked as a research technician at Mercy hospital and a Lab Manager at the VA hospital. He discovered that there were no commercial suppliers of antibodies. Tom decided to measure what to date had not been measured – hormones with the use of antibodies. If he could make a go of his business of making goat antibodies , he would work to fulfill his original goal of helping people.
To date Tom has helped many different people with the profits from his company.
1) Job Creation: Tom employees nearly 700 employees worldwide. His company offers, comprehensive medical benefits, profit sharing through an Incentive compensation program, 401K with company match, subsidized meals for $1 per meal for all you can eat, childcare, transportation and an accredited school for children.
2) Oppressed Women in 3rd world country: Scantibodies Ethiopia employs 130 women who earn 4 times above the normal wage. The result has been the empowerment of the Ethiopian women as the main bread winners in their families, giving them the ability to provide more to their families including the education of their children.
3) Children: Scantibodies educates 100 children in a government accredited school where and 25% of the children are from the community and 75% of the children are from the community. The company subsidizes the $27 per day per student cost, by charging only $1 per day.
4) Community: The family museum offers education and entertainment to over 30,000 visitors each year. 30 minute Daily Nationwide Radio Program called Friendship with God.
5) Patients: In 1998-Tom discovered ½ million dialysis patients were being falsely diagnosed by an inaccurate test and consequently mistreated leading to potentially fatal calcifications. He endured a 5 year lawsuit from Nichols/Quest Diagnostics, the maker of the inaccurate test, who was looking to crush his company. In the end, the faulty test made by Nichols/Quest Diagnostics was pulled from the market. Tom was honored by receiving the Whistle Blower of the Year award in 2009 for protecting 500,00 dialysis patients. Also, Tom was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer is 2010. He was motivated to start a Cancer Therapy and Cancer Imaging Center with the most advanced PET CT and MRI scanning equipment. A normal charge for PET scanning is $16,000. Lowest insurance paid PET scan is $2,500. Tom charges only $1000 per PET scan, resulting in a $1 million loss per year. This is in part why Tom has never had investors in the company. Investors do not believe, as Tom does, that patients are the number one priority.
6) Jewish People: When Tom was 19, he had a life changing experience by discovering the great happiness and joy the Bible can bring. Because of that experience, he offers hope and security by reaching out to Jewish people. He is driven to help people find that very same peace and security by creating a gift that includes a one hour DVD o his story, that he seeks to give free of charge.
7) Community Partnership: For the past 25 years Scantibodies has proudly partnered with ARC of San Diego and Unyeway by providing full time employment at regular staff status to 10-15 people with mental handicaps. The company has done this to empower and build self-esteem to the mentally challenged.